WRXAtlanta.com
Go Back   WRXAtlanta.com > t3h Mod Squad (Technical Discussion) > Boxer Engine (2.0L/2.5L), Turbo, ECU Tuning & Drivetrain
WAP Register Image Hosting Members Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2005, 12:39 PM   #1
sol drums

Ride: Blue Bugeye Wagon
STi engine swap into WRX

I know this sounds crazy. But if they are never going to make a STi Wagon & my engine is pretty much modded to the max. I was thinking... why not put in the larger STi engine? Anyone ever heard of someone else doing this?

-drums
sol drums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:50 PM   #2
socrates42

Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon
Favorite Mod: JIC FL-A2
yeah ive seen it, there is a guy with a silver 02 on long island who did a full jdm v8 swap into his wagon. its silver. I think it was even in turbo mag or something.
socrates42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:31 PM   #3
moose
Infina Mooooooose!

Ride: 2004 Volvo V70 D5, 1999 Saab 9-3 2.0t
Favorite Mod: your mom
If you're going to go through all that trouble, why not go with a nicely built motor that can handle whatever you want to throw at it? I'm new to the Subarus, but have read about the 2.2 block and some other options that'd let you make some wicked power...
moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:07 PM   #4
ScoobyMike
OG Mod

Ride: WRX Wagon
I would build a race ready motor
ScoobyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:23 PM   #5
GTscoob
Black is Beautiful
OG Retired Moderator

Ride: JDM Pandabear
Favorite Mod: boost
You could go with an EJ22 shortblock out of an older Legacy Turbo (2.2L closed deck), USDM STI shortblock (2.5L semiclosed deck), or various JDM STI, STI RA, etc blocks (2.0L semi closed, closed on RA).

I think thats how the factory engines sort out, and then there's Axis, Crawford, Cobb etc built blocks that use aftermarket rods/pistons.

Lotsa people have been swapping motors now in WRXs (check it out on NASIOC). Pretty much any of the new generation engines (STI ver7+) bolt right in and use the factory wiring I believe. The engines with AVCS require a little bit more wiring.
GTscoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:26 PM   #6
sol drums

Well i'm not sure i'm going to do this. My friend Tommy was over at my house and we were talking about when he was going to start modding his WRX & what he wants to do. He sugguested that if I do anything more to my car, I should put in the STi engine or the RS engine. Said a turbocharged RS engine will get major HP gains. Something about a low compression engine w/ a turbo added?

I was just thinking of how, or if I could get more HP out of my car. Just thinking... Cause I haven't even gotten into my car enough to know what it is truely capable of. (don't want any tickets) That's why I want to get it on a drag strip. Find out how much power it really has.

-drums
Old 03-11-2005, 03:29 PM   #7
sol drums

Wouldn't it be great to get our cars on the autobaun?!!!! Damn, i need to get on a track! Never done it before though.

-drums
Old 03-11-2005, 04:49 PM   #8
miloman
Retired Admin
Administrator

Ride: Black Knight
Favorite Mod: SuperZilla
ive been thinking bout a USDM STi shortblock... gotta wait a while while i save the money and it will give me enough time to research the options
miloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:11 PM   #9
BelvnAWD
I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...
OG Retired Moderator

Ride: 09 MS3
Liquid Force, who lives in Dunwoody, and posts on Nasioc did a STI block into his WRX sedan. He actually did all the work in his garage with some help from Nasioc members and a large investment in tools...He actually gave me a Futon, seems like a nice guy. Try pm'ing him over there if you want more info.
BelvnAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:17 PM   #10
ScoobyMike
OG Mod

Ride: WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally posted by BelvnAWD
Liquid Force, who lives in Dunwoody, and posts on Nasioc did a STI block into his WRX sedan. He actually did all the work in his garage with some help from Nasioc members and a large investment in tools...He actually gave me a Futon, seems like a nice guy. Try pm'ing him over there if you want more info.
sweet
ScoobyMike is offline   Reply With Quote